[Content note: GIFS, mentions of racism]
Meet Nina Davuluri. Nina Davuluri just won the Miss America contest, and is now Miss America 2014. And she’s pretty fucking awesome.
1. Her platform was “celebrating diversity through cultural competency.” When I first heard that, I had *no idea* what it meant. But once you look it up, it turns out it’s fucking awesome. Cultural competency means developing an awareness of your own cultural viewpoint, and then learning to understand, communicate with, and interact with people from all kinds of different cultures and socio/ethnic backgrounds.
Uh… amazing, right? Social justice-y, right?
2. She’s the first Indian-American - and Asian-American - Miss America. And yeah, there have been some racist motherfuckers who’ve been oppressive assholes about this, but that doesn’t take away from Nina Davuluri’s very real accomplishment. Nina Davuluri is damn cool. And talented. And smart.
And she knew she was making history. When Nina Davuluri was one of the last two women standing, alongside Miss California’s Crystal Lee - also an Asian-American woman - she said: “We’re both so proud. We’re making history right here, standing here as Asian-Americans.”
3. She makes terrible jokes.
Damn it, she’s got my favorite sense of humor. AND she’s got an adorable embarrassed smile!
4. Her talent was really fucking amazing - a fusion piece that combined bollywood dance with classical indian training.
Apparently, she chose her talent against the advice of her team, who thought it was “too foreign” for american judges. To which Nina Davuluri was like “Fuck you” and won the WHOLE DAMN THING.
Ugh, I want to be her when I grow up. Ridiculously talented and super-brave.
5. She’s a nerd.
She cosplays. She loves Star Trek, Star Wars and anything Science Fiction. And she knows R2-D2 (don’t disillusion me. THAT IS R2-D2 IN THIS PICTURE AND NINA DAVULURI IS HIS BEST FRIEND)
She has a degree in brain behavior and cognitive science. She wants to be a doctor. She’s going into traditionally male fields and she’s a geek and a woman, and she’s fucking awesome.
I wonder what kind of SF books she loves. Maybe I’ll see her at a convention sometime!
And Nina Davuluri isn’t the only awesome, nerdy WOC in the Miss America Pageant. The first runner-up, Crystal Lee, is Chinese-American. She graduated with a BA and an MA from Stanford in FOUR years. Her platform is women in STEM fields (awesome). She’s interned for DropBox, and she wants to start her own tech company. Her talent is Ballet-en-pointe, because HOLY SHIT.
It’s easy to focus on the disgusting racism that’s been happening around Nina Davuluri’s coronation. But don’t just talk about the racists. Talk about the awesome women they’re trying to erase through their racism. Don’t let their voices dominate the conversation.
The top two women at the Miss America pageant this year were both WOC. They were both hard-core nerds who study STEM, They care about women and cultural diversity in tech fields. They like Star Wars and cosplaying. They’re going to start tech companies and promote diversity. They’re remarkable women. And it’s a remarkable thing, to look at the Miss America pageant, and see exactly whose winning - STEM women! Nerds! Women of Color!
As a fellow nerd, ladies - I salute you!
And I’m inspired by you. You’re Big Damn Heroes.
(Hey, geeks of america - could we wrangle a con invitation for Nina Davuluri or Crystal Lee? Wouldn’t that be awesome? I think it would be awesome)
Full credit goes to
Thinkspeakstress on tumblr
Arturo R. Garcia at Racialicious
Lakshmi Gandhi at The Aerogram
for making me check my white privilege, waking me the fuck up and reminding me to stop focusing so much on the racists and start focusing on the people they were actively erasing. I really appreciate the call-out. Thank you.
- fearlessscaredycat reblogged this from popelizbet
- aubreyli likes this
- lickablewinchesters likes this
- twotickets reblogged this from symbolicsodomy
- bunnypunker reblogged this from neokhaleesi
- greythegryphon reblogged this from misskittystryker
- tasteslikecoconut reblogged this from gbernadon
- sionnachsskulk reblogged this from kijikun
- jzaffiro likes this
- antonomasia09 reblogged this from thisdoorcanbeopened
- gbernadon reblogged this from werebee
- werebee reblogged this from phantomwise
- werebee likes this
- phantomwise reblogged this from cumberdoom
- sweetie-is-me likes this
- drinkingsoulmatestiles reblogged this from caterfree10
- garenebean likes this
- youreagoodliar likes this
- afinchintime likes this
- acciofeztive reblogged this from hellotailor
- krys-imeteri-hikari likes this
- annakedal reblogged this from caterfree10
- freetickettomyhead likes this
- drinkingsoulmatestiles likes this
- ohleonine reblogged this from caterfree10
- caterfree10 reblogged this from hibernatingsunflower
- caterfree10 likes this
- andthentheyran reblogged this from pfdiva
- thanesprayers likes this
- booksmoviesthecolorgreen reblogged this from pfdiva
- sagelylegs likes this
- disneyprincessmink reblogged this from dalekalice
- dalekalice reblogged this from juniperofsol
- dalekalice likes this
- g-i-r-affe likes this
- thetinynina likes this
- juniperofsol reblogged this from pfdiva and added:
- xxfallingheartsxx reblogged this from pfdiva
- pfdiva reblogged this from hibernatingsunflower
- pfdiva likes this
- serendipkitty likes this
- sushmaloo likes this
- hibernatingsunflower reblogged this from moniquill
- vohalika reblogged this from fluffmugger
- vohalika likes this
- eclaireevans reblogged this from upallnightogetloki
- jadedmushroom reblogged this from fluffmugger
- hopelessfangirl likes this
- eclaireevans likes this